Friday, January 5, 2018

New Year

     I'm not much of a resolutions person. I do try to set goals for what I would like to do in the near future, but I would rather think that should come more frequently than the beginning of the year.
     This is one reason why I take issue with the phrase "New year, new me!" The other reason is a technicality; the body renews itself on a cellular level a few times a year. A person is constantly generating a "new me." The mind should do so at least that frequently.
     But still, I have set a few goals for myself.

     Denise and I are Facebook-official. We love each other, and we've gone through our first stressful holiday season just fine. Her family likes me, as do her friends.
     So, my big goal is to begin moving towards the Bloomington area. I need a bigger venue for my weirdness to flourish, and I need to be near her and the kid.

     I am a political junkie in an anti-intellectual nation that is run by corrupt politicians and populated by people who mentally dropped out in the middle of their K-12 education. That being said, I'm no super-genius, myself; but I feel like Joe Bauer in Idiocracy. I was an average student as a kid, so why can I so easily debunk every meme and parroted talking point from the right?
     This brings me to my other goal. I need to not stress when people, who arm themselves with AR15s to go to the grocery store and listen to Alex Jones, claim that Obama and George Soros are running a deep state government to undermine Dear Leader Trump.
     It's like when Neil DeGrasse Tyson talked about moon landing conspiracy theorists. They will deny everything, including evidence, so don't waste time arguing with them. They refuse to listen to reason.

     These are two big goals, but I think I can at least make progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment