Friday, May 13, 2022

Nostalgia and Embracing the Future

     I have to sound off on something. I'm in a couple of nostalgia groups that cover the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Every so often, you get these memes that say that a certain time period was the best and will never be good again. Coming from a rocky background, I think it's kind of silly if you think that having a certain part of pop culture in your life meant your childhood was awesome. It was hard to have a TV routine, for example, if you didn't have stability. You could enjoy that show one week, but the next week the TV is off and replaced with the sounds of other things.
     I like living in the Information Age that started as I became a teenager. It just not started getting good. I have all the nostalgic pop culture things available at my fingertips, and can enjoy them from the safer time of adulthood. Yeah, I'm heavier, sore for no reason, with diabetes and 'rhoids, but I wouldn't want to trade my life now for the chaos and fear of then.
     But I guess, every era will have its people who will chafe at advancing technology. I think that, since I was a science geek from way back, I always embraced the future. I can imagine, in 50-75 years, after the next technological revolution and subsequent age (which I think will be nanotech), people will be posting holograms of their child selves on social media, saying “We didn't know how good we had it back then.” And they'll be complaining about programmable matter or smart materials. Times change, and we should just take what we like from each decade as we go into the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment